The Rainbow School is an international parent-participation preschool located in Escondido Village at Stanford University. The school is NAEYC accredited and has received a national award from NAEYC in 2010 for Engaging Diverse Families.
- Stanford students
- Families from the surrounding community
Philosophy and Curriculum
The program provides a caring, safe and stimulating environment in which the children are free to explore, create, learn and grow. The curriculum is developmentally appropriate, based on the educational philosophy that children learn by doing and that the adults provide opportunities for children to experiment and explore their environment. Children are guided to help facilitate their emotional, social, physical and cognitive growth. An emergent curriculum philosophy is implemented to support the interests and needs of the children. The school is multicultural and operates within the Escondido Village philosophy that promotes pluralism while discouraging racism, sexism and violence.
The Rainbow School is a parent participation program which offers parents the opportunity to:
- Share in their child's school experience.
- Enrich the school program through parent involvement by sharing of personal and cultural experiences.
- Meet with parents from diverse cultures and share with each other the concerns and joys of parenting.
- Watch the fascinating process of their child's growth and development within a peer environment.
Children from many countries meet together in a co-created (child/parent/teacher) classroom setting, designed to promote individual growth and group cooperation. Self esteem is promoted, diversity is valued, and the belief in each child's ability to self-regulate and peaceably solve problems is foremost. We believe that children learn through play by means of exploration of their surroundings and exposure to new materials. Developmentally appropriate activities are designed to focus on the whole child: their social, emotional, cognitive, physical, and language development.
Our experienced, qualified staff serve as positive role models and provide care that is supportive, nurturing, and responsive to individual children's needs. We respect parents as the primary and most important providers of care and nurturing, and value parent participation in the program. Together, teachers and parents are partners in the care and education of all the children at the Rainbow School.
- Children should be 2 years 9 months to 5 years of age at the time of enrollment.
- All children must be out of diapers and actively using the toilet.
- Immunization records must be on file before a child may attend class.
- First priority and a reduced tuition rate are given to families living in Escondido Village.
- Second priority is given to Stanford students, staff , faculty and postdocs.
- Third priority is given to families of the surrounding community
1. Print out the Rainbow School Application Form.
2. Fill in the form and mail along with a $25 application fee to:
140 Comstock Circle
Stanford, CA 94305
(Please make checks payable to: Rainbow School)
3. You will be contacted when a space becomes available. (Please keep contact information on application form up to date.)
Program Schedule & Hours
Rainbow School runs from mid-September to mid-June, and follows the Stanford Academic Calendar. There is a six week summer camp, from the fourth week of June to the end of July.
Rainbow School is open Monday through Friday and offers Half-day, Full day or Full Day Plus schedules:
9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. Half Day
9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Full Day
9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Full day Plus
Parent co-oping is required at 2-4 times per month (shifts of both 9 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. and 12:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.) for Full Day, and 1- 3 times per month (9 a.m. - 12 p.m. shifts) month for Half Day enrollment.
Location: 140 Comstock Circle, Stanford, CA 94305
Master Teacher (9-5): Michael Borbas
Full Day Teacher (9-3): Suyan Ling
Substitute Teaching Staff: Val Acevedo, Susi Steiner, Carol Sinoben, Yi Xia